Wednesday 30 September 2009

Shorter Days

Today was the first day that I mounted lights on my bike to cycle to work since the beginning of summer. The days seem to be getting shorter so quickly (which indeed they do - as the rate of change of day length is quickest around the equinox). But the reward of setting of before dawn is to see the sun rising, and today was a cracker of a sunrise.

The weather forecast suggests that the first frosts can be expected soon. I have just planted out my cabbages and spring greens and sown some broad beans, so am hoping that they manage to get a hold before the weather turns to colder. If I am lucky, the frost will come just in time to wipe out the catapillars that I know are just startng to feed on the cabbage.

I have always been keen on growing my own veg. It'snot a financial thing, or even really a taste thing (though they do taste better - most of the time), I think it's mainly a 'feelgood' thing. Watching something grow from seed, nurturing its development, seeing it ripen and mature, then eating it: There is something complete and 'wholesome' about the whole cycle. This year has been a courgette bonanza, and Debbie and I have been experimenting with ways to cope with the deluge. Much courgette cake has been eaten, and the freezer if full of courgette curry (interesting - but probably not to be repeated...)

And after several years of missing the opportunity, this year I managed to catch the elderberries in time. After many hours of labour on Sunday I have six small jars of elderberry relish. Just need to try and leave them long enough to mature. (The first time I tried this recipe in 2003 I knocked over a 4 pint jug full of elderberries. I was surrounded by thousands of little black berries and could not move from the spot without crushing them underfoot - Debbie had to come and rescue me with a dustpan and brush...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to comment? Post it here...